A Good Divorce Lawyer Will Ease Your Expat Divorce

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 by Jamson

Expat comes from expatriate which is a Latin word is used to define a person living out of their fatherland. When a person is living out of their country either temporarily or permanently, they are covered under the head of expats. So an expat divorce is a foreign divorce recognised in Singapore. There may be a situation where you are living in Singapore and have a job there too, but your better half decides to disappear for years together. Such a scenario leads to the need for an expat divorce. In the case of an expat divorce, you can file for divorce and obtain the same from an expat foreigner in Singapore itself without having to go back to your place of origin wasting precious time and money.


Who can file for an expat divorce in Singapore?


  • A person who has been living in Singapore for a period of three years or more.

  • The grounds on which your seek divorce must be justifiable and not vague.

  • Your marriage should be more than three years old.

  • If your place of origin is somewhere else but you were married in Singapore.

  • Your partner and you could be from different countries but are living and settled in Singapore.

  • Despite all earnest efforts you have not been able to locate your spouse who has moved out from Singapore.

  • Your nuptials are not younger than three years.


Getting yourself a divorce lawyer who is well versed with the laws related to expat divorce in Singapore should be your first step. The fees for divorce in Singapore is lesser than other places because the rates that your will charged will be Singapore dollars. Once your divorce is final and the judgement has come through, there is no embargo on remarrying. In the normal course of law, the divorce takes place in about 6 odd months when both the parties agree and the proceedings carry on smoothly. The biggest advantage is that once you get the foreign divorce recognised in Singapore, you are free to carry on with your life.


Divorce can get messy and complicated and that is why getting in touch with a good divorce lawyer who has a wide range of knowledge when it comes to laws regarding expats is essential. Even if you are not married for three years or you have not been living in Singapore for three years, your lawyer can make an application in the Court for you. You will have to prove your intention of wanting to stay for longer in Singapore to have your petition entertained before the judge.


About Author: Jamson Lim works for a top Expat Divorce firm in Singapore and has effectively handled foreigners divorce cases in Singapore. He mostly writes on topics like expat divorce eligibility, child custody, expat assets division and others. 


  • Login or Register to post comments