After the foundation, the roof can be said to be the most important aspect of the house. A good roof not only protects you from the harsh weather elements outside, it also serves to keep out all kinds of insects, rodents, etc., from your home! Not to mention, an attractive roof makes the home look even more beautiful and even increases the property value of your home. It increases curb appeal and makes you feel proud each time you look up to your home.
In order to keep the roof looking as bright, shiny, and beautiful as on the day they were brought, it is important to give them regular inspections and maintenance. You can do either a roof repair or a roof restoration, it is important to know what to look for when you conduct your regular inspection of your roof.
Why is it important to inspect your roof regularly?
The condition of your roof will depend to a large extent on the kind of weather that is predominant in the area that you live and the kind of surroundings that you have. For example, if you live in Mornington Peninsula in a place that is surrounded by trees, you can be sure that there might be a lot of debris collected on the roof from all the fallen twigs, branches, bird droppings, or even dead rodents and insects. This weight can bear down heavily on the roof structure, and when combined with the wind and rain that is typical of Mornington Peninsula,you get a roof that is heavily burdened and under great stress. This can be further compounded if the roof has not been cleaned in a while, which could lead to the roof shingles breaking down and getting damaged due to the weight of all the debris.
How to know if a roof restoration is due for your home?
There is a difference between roof repair and roof restoration and it is important to know the difference so that you will know which professionals to call for help to fix your roof. Here are the major signs that you need a complete roof restoration for your home in Mornington Peninsula, and not just a roof repair:
- Check the age of your roof. Roofs usually last about two decades, so if your roof is older than that, then it’s time to go for a restoration rather than just a repair.
- If your roof is leaking all over, then you definitely need a new roof!
- The roof valleys are the space where rain or snow falls through and into the gutters. If there are shingles that are damaged or missing in your roof valleys, a restoration is definitely in order.
- If there are any shingles that are missing from your roof, then it is wiser to go for a restoration as there will be shingles missing from other places too. It is especially important to check for this in the aftermath of a storm.
- Check your gutters to see if you find any granules of the shingles in them. If you do, you can be sure that your shingles are damaged.
- Your insulation will be moist if your roof is damaged. This requires a restoration.
- When you walk on the roof, it will feel bouncy or spongy, which means it need to be restored.
-If light can be seen through the attic ceiling, the shingles are missing and need to be replaced.
When you understand these signs and keep a lookout for them, you can also get started on the restoration right away, rather than ignoring the signs which will only lead to greater damage and more cost in the long run.